U12 Reds v Reddish North End (Cup)

22 Jan 2019 in Match Reports

U12 Reds v Reddish North End (Cup) U12 Reds v Reddish North End (Cup)

U12 Reds v Reddish North End (Cup)

Chadderton FC Juniors under 12s Reds

Match report vs. Reddish North End (13th January 2019)

Our first match of 2019 was a cup match against Reddish, a team we have had good encounters with before.


With a full squad we started with George in goal, Cullenn, Harvey, Caiden and Kian at the back, Tyler and Jack in midfield and Cameron playing just behind Keane.


The 3 week break for Christmas definitely had not made the players sluggish.  Reddish are a team which can hurt you given time on the ball, turning lay-offs round corners and having willing runners.  With Tyler and Jack strong in midfield and Harvey and Caiden sweeping up at the back we looked solid and allowed them no room.


The solid core meant Cullenn, looking more and more like he is made to be a full-back, and Kian could bomb forward and provide the ammunition for Cameron and Keane.


Our passing game was on point.  Good combinations from Jack and Cameron constantly looked to set Keane free but Reddish’s defence was well organised and their goalkeeper, as well as a character, was equal to every shot we could get through.  A superb fingertip from a Kian free kick was the pick of 3 good saves.


As we rotated, players came in and carried on the good work.  Amelia’s trickery was closely marked, Adam’s runs were very clever and his touch and supply from deadballs posed a threat for us.  Charlie gave us another option in defence, in the mood to weave his way forward he was the start of a number of attacks.  Himayat put in some very important challenges and Daniel, as always, gave us a great structure in the middle of the pitch.


But it was Reddish who took the lead, showing their quality in moving the ball round and managed to squeeze the ball past George on one of the few occasions that they got past our defenders.

At half time we were behind when, in reality, being level would have been a fairer reflection.  But there was only one goal in it and a good reaction came through.

We withstood Reddish attacking, trying to kill the game off but the defence kept a very good shape – in particular Joe held very strong against a tricky opponent on the right wing.

As we pinged the ball around it felt like a matter of time before we carved open good chances and we deserved it when Cameron swept in a great cross from Daniel after good work down the right from Charlie.

The game remained level for quite a while with both sides trying to out-think and out-run each other.  As well as our passing game, our pressure and tenacity served us well with Tyler and Keane battling in the middle of the park and Jack and Harvey nullifying their main threat down our left. 

With time running out there was a scary moment as Reddish broke through but a real keeper’s moment from George meant a good shot was turned around the post.

We went up the other end and Keane won a freekick.  As Kian stepped up he decided to do something different to his normal top corner accuracy – he sent a low drive into the bottom corner, assisted by runners taking defenders away and distracting the keeper.

Good tackles at the back were the order of the day as time ran out but we were always in control and didn’t need any last ditch challenges.

A well deserved route through to the next round and a good springboard for getting back to the league next week.

Possibly the best thing today was that we won this match with a good balance of good football and hard work.  There were at least five or six players who could have come away as man of the match but for his work on and off the ball and making more than one position his own when asked to play there, the award this week goes to Jack.       

Back to the league next week – let’s carry on the good form.


Older Newer